Phar~kar~car~harssen - "the feeling one gets when leaving a pub intoxicated during the day"
This website is to promote a completely made-up word with the goal of getting the word into the Oxford English Dictionary. Think of it as a social experiment - a word was made up (during a summer afternoon of boozing). Question is - is it possible to get this word into the Oxford English Dictionary ..... I think it is possible if enough people take up the challenge. Yes - that means YOU!!
I don't understand the word - what does it mean?
Imagine the scene.
- It's hot and sunny
- You are enjoying a few afternoon ales/beers/wines in a dark pub
- Deciding to move on to the next watering hole, you leave the pub and step outside into the sunshine ......
- The sunlight hits - you squint ... you stumble ... you get that unique feeling .... but there is NO WORD to express it.
- That feeling is Pharkarcarharssen!
Ok - I've got it .... I like it ... how can I help?
- Use the word next time you experience the feeling
- Tell your friends, your mum, your nan and everybody you know. Spread the word
- Print out flyers and spread the word in your local area / pubs / uni etc.
- If you are an artist or work in the media then include Pharkarcarharssen in your work. Especially:
And do you have any silly pictures?
Yeah - here are some pictures from a flyer competition that might help explain the word.
You can also download flyers and spread the word in your local pub, club, uni, rotary club.
Enter the pub during the day. Do yourself a favour and buy yourself a pint.
Spend a pleasant hour or two quaffing a few more pints.
Leave the pub, step into the sunshine ..... Pharkarcarharssen!